September 25, 2017 at 10:16 pm
What an epic journey that was. Three days ago, on Saturday, we left Neils Beach to head down to Milford Sound. The timing was perfect. After almost an entire week of fantastic spring weather, the sky over the West Coast was grey and dull – and it rained.
With the weather forecast for Milford Sound pretty crappy too for the next couple of days, the decision was made to do a little detour to Dunedin, spend a night at home and then carry on to Fiordland on Sunday.
Sunday morning, we climbed back into Eric, are good old Land Cruiser and hit the road again. Destination: Milford Sound. In the afternoon we arrived in Te Anau, picked up the leys for the DOC house in the Milford settlement and grabbed something to eat before embarking on the last leg of our journey along the Milford road.
It was windy as hell and the mountains across lake Te Anau were shrouded in thick clouds. Not far out of Te Anau the road sign informed us about the road condition to Milford Sound.
Avalanche hazard along the Milford road! Road closed until tomorrow morning!! Great!!! So back to Te Anau we went, found ourselves a cheap Motel for the night and drowned our sorrow with far too expensive beer at the local pub.
When we got up this morning, the road was still closed. But after breakfast we hit the road regardless. We ignored the still persisting message saying “Road Closed” and rolled northwards. Which was a good call because closer to the Homer tunnel another road sign now explained that the Milford Road was now open.
We made ourselves at home in the DOC house. But it was too late to go out to Harrison Cove today. So we chill and await the arrival of Robin and Giselle. Well catch up with Andrea from Southern Discoveries tonight and start field work in Milford Sound once and for all tomorrow.